This delicious original print by Lew Davis was sold out prior to 1990.
|About the Artist||(1910-1979) A native of Arizona, Lew Davis was born in
Jerome. He began painting there in
1925. From 1927 to 1931 he participated
in formal training at the Art School of the National Academy of Design in New
York. He won both the Tiffany Fellowship
for Painting and the Yaddo Fellowship as well as the Hallgarten Prize and the
Cannon Prize, both at the National Academy of Design. In 1935 he moved back to Jerome under the
U.S. Treasury Department project for painting where he began a mining camp
series of paintings.
In 1938 Davis was first included in Who’s Who in American Art. Solo exhibitions occurred in Colorado, while he was represented by Associated American Artists in New York and the Dalzell Hatfield Gallery in Los Angeles. In 1960 a retrospective exhibition was staged for him at the Phoenix Art Museum, at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff (1970) and at the Scottsdale Center for the Arts (1979). In 1977 Governor Raul Castro proclaimed March 6, 1977 as “Lew Davis Day”.
|Image size||17 1/2" height X 20" width|
|Frame||Archival window mat board, regular glass, metal sectional molding|
|Frame size||26 1/4" height X 28 3/4" width|
|Signed||"Lew Davis" at viewer's lower right margin in graphite|
|Date of creation||Circa 1978|
|Condition||Excellent, as appeared framed, glazed|
|Atelier||Southwest Graphics, Scottsdale, AZ|